Saturday, July 14, 2007

Two Fish

Not a single picture taken this past week; we've found ourselves at the pool more often than not and I just can't figure out a safe way to hang on to Springer, take a picture and not end up with the camera being turned into a toy. So... no shots to show for it, but both of them are really enjoying the pool. Our highlight of the pool this summer has been Carver's swim lessons. We've just completed his third week of private lessons and after a rocky start to his first day he has come along nicely. By the end of last week he was going completely under water and touching the bottom of the pool in 4 1/2 feet of water. That may not sound like much, but this from a kid who wouldn't put his head under water in a hot tub in February! With a little help he is swimming nicely (with his head underwater), working on his 'circle arms', touching the bottom, and learning to push off from the side by himself. We'll probably do another round of lessons before the summer's over, but I need to save my pennies for while! I have been amazed to watch this independent almost 5 year old become such a little boy. I am all too aware that he is growing up-and although it's what I desire to happen and what should happen there are days that it takes me a little off guard. It's nerve racking and frustrating at times, but when the day's done it's an awesome privilege to parent through this stage of his life.
Springer, on the other hand, was born a fish. No fear, goes underwater without as much as a whimper, pops up and says, "that was fun!" "my turn" (which means let's do it again). I have to watch her like a hawk or else she'll jump from the side unannounced or head to the three feet end in the training pool without a care. She's definitely working her Hawaiin heritage-complete with the tan. She's darker than the rest of us combined!

1 comment:

katie said...

that is so cute... they remind me of my six year old and my three year old with their water tendencies! (both of which are in swim lessons too!)