Monday, January 14, 2008

Five Year Old Semantics

The other night after dinner as I loaded the dishwasher I noticed a few extra dishes still sitting on the table. Here's how the conversation between Carver and me unfolded....
Me: Carver, would you bring those other dishes to the kitchen?
Carver: No (in a very nice tone)
Me: Carver? (not so nice tone, more like 'have you lost your mind?')
Carver: (correcting himself) No Ma'am.
Me: (No words, only an expression that I am sure got across my thoughts)
Carver: Mom, you said WOULD you take the dishes off the table. WOULD is a yes or no answer and I said 'No'. (again, all very politely explained)
By this time it was all I could do not to laugh and applaud his thinking skills; nonetheless the dishes were still on the table and I rephrased my request with a not quite as nice "Carver, bring the dishes to the kitchen." He quickly responded completely unaware of how funny I would find this whole interaction. Gotta like how the boy thinks!

No comments: